Are there female angels? August 24, 2007Posted by mercedescoleen in Angels in the bible.
Tags: About Angels, Angels, Angels at Work, Angels of God, Heaven
This is a tricky question and I am addressing it mainly because some people have asked. The issue of whether or not there are female angels appears to have been hidden from us for reasons that God knows. I have seen and spoken with female angels and one sister testified to seeing a female angel coming in her direction one morning then disappearing after their interaction. She said that she had been going through a period of hardship and had received much comfort as a result.
The only scriptures that I found was an indirect inference made by the Lord in response to a question by the Sadducees. It is found in Mt 22: 23- 30 and Mark 12:
This is Matthew’s account (blueletterbible.org):
Mat 22: 23 The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,
Mat 22:24 Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.
Mat 22:25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:
Mat 22:26 Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.
Mat 22:27 And last of all the woman died also.
Mat 22:28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.
Mat 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
Mat 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
Mk 12: 25 For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.
The question stemmed out of the mockery of the Saducees about the resurrection of the dead. They invented a seemingly impossible question about the issue of who will marry the woman in the resurrection in order to confound the issue of the resurrection of the dead. Jesus overlooked their mockery, pointing out their error and unbelief in the power of God. His response taught them the following:
1. The angels live in heaven
2. The resurrected dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage.
3. The dead in Christ will ressurect as males and females in the same sex that they had on earth.
4. Jesus spoke in the future tense when He said “when they shall rise from the dead”
5. He spoke in the present continuous tense to descibe the state of those who will rise when He said that the resurrected “are as the angels which are in heaven”.
6. What is the state of the angels in heaven? They have a spiritual body with spiritual power (1 Cor 15: 35-50). The resurrected dead in Christ will rise with the same spiritual body and the power of the spiritual body. Jesus demonstrated the power of the spiritual body following His resurrection, being able to go through walls, appear and disappear and change His appearance/form.
7. Jesus made a comparison between the resurrected dead and the angels in heaven. He seems to be telling us that there are male and female angels in heaven and they neither marry nor are given in marriage.
8. The principle related to the comparison is found in Matthew 6: 10 where He taught us, “thy kingdom come,Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.” Heaven is a kingdom, made up of angels and saints who have gone on to be with the Lord. Does it have towns, cities, etc?
This is my current understanding so far. I do not believe that it should become a major issue. We either believe or do not believe. However, as Jesus told the Saducees that they were missing out on the power of God by their unbelief, so if indeed there are female angels, is there something that they have to give to us that we do not yet have? Blessings. Next time, do angels engage in conversations?