Do angels engage in conversation with people? – Part 1 August 26, 2007Posted by mercedescoleen in Angels in the bible.
Tags: About Angels, Angels, Angels at Work, Angels in the bible, Angels of God, Heaven
This is an interesting question. Scriptures are replete with examples and show that angels do engage in verbal and nonverbal dialogue with people. Let’s look at examples of verbal dialogue:
- An angel looked for Hagar as she lay by a fountain of water in the wilderness and spoke with her about the need to return to Sarah’s home and the future of her unborn child. He told her about the sex, name and personality of the child. Note that he initiated the conversation (Gen 16)
- Ishmael and Hagar were thrown out of the family home on Sarah’s request. An angel called to her out or heaven as she and the child lay dying of thirst in the desert. He spoke with her about the child’s destiny and also showed her where to find water (Gen 21).
- God tested Abraham’s obedience by asking him to offer his only son Isaac as a sacrifice. As he was about to do so, the angel of the Lord called out of heaven, halting his actions and providing a ram in the bush (Gen 21: 11-14).
- The angel of the Lord also called out from heaven to Abraham a second time and spoke with him about the blessing that God had promised to him and his seed (Gen 22: 15-18).
- The angel of the Lord spoke to Jacob in a dream, showing him the secret for mating his animals and multiplying them (Gen 31: 11-13).
- The angel of the Lord spoke to Moses about the deliverance of His people from bondage in Egypt (Ex 3).
- The angel of the Lord spoke with Balaam about the message that he should give to the Moabites about the people of Israel (Num 22: 32 – 35)
More to come. Searches are made easier with http://www.blueletterbible.com